Thursday 27 May 2010

LTE will be known as 4G!


I have been mentioning since 3 years that LTE is 3.9G and its not 4G. In fact I have brought it up in many posts and discussions so that we do not dilute the term 4G. From my recent visit to the LTE World Summit and from the news, etc. it seems that the marketing guys won and LTE would be known as 4G.
In the picture above you can clearly see that the press releases by well known companies as well as Samsung's dongle has 4G for LTE stamped. It may be very difficult to reverse this '4G' means LTE term.
So I have now started thinking about what LTE-Advanced will be known as. Here is my attempt:
  • 5G - Not sure if people will buy this. Assuming that LTE-Advanced specs are ready by March 2011 (as is predicted) then people wont be ready to jump from 4G to 5G this soon.
  • 4G+ - Not sure if this sounds sexy enough
  • Super 4G - Boring
  • Turbo 4G - reminds me of F1
Suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should consider that what must be sold is services and not technology.
I mean that the average user is probably more interested in "Mbps" rather than "Gs". Commercials should then include the first one.